Rice and peas is the best Caribbean side dish that taste delicious with jerk chicken, curry, oxtail, fish, brown stew chicken and everything else. In this recipe we'll be using The House blend to perfect the flavor of traditional Jamaican style rice and peas.
Tip: Soak the dry bean overnight in a dutch pot or a large sauce pot. Soaking your beans makes a quicker cooking time.
- The House Blend
- 2 Cup dry red kidney beans
- Can of coconut milk
- 3 Cup of long grain rice
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 4 Quarts of water
- 1 whole scotch bonnet (optional)
- Bring the beans to a boil then reduce the heat to med-low. Add 1 tbsp of salt to the pot and continue to simmer for about an hour until beans are tender..
- Turn up the heat to med; Stir in 1/2 can of coconut milk, butter and a whole scotch bonnet. (Do not poke the pepper. The scotch bonnet is in the pot to infuse the flavor but not the heat from the pepper) Generously sprinkle The House blend to the pot of beans and stir to taste.
- Stir in the rice; cover tightly with a lid and simmer over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed about 30 mins.
- Remove the pepper from the pot and use a fork to fluff the rice. Tip: If the rice seems to dry and needs more time to cook add about 1/4 cup of stock or water to the rice and steam for another 10 mins.
- Turn the heat off and continue to steam the rice until its ready to be served!